These are covenants our church members take at specific instances
Covenant of Church Membership
Christians being received as full members take all 7 of these points, communicant members take the first 3
I believe the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments to be the Word of God and the only infallible rule of faith and life.
I believe in the one living and true God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as revealed in the Scriptures.
I confess my guilt and helplessness as a sinner against God; I acknowledge Jesus Christ as my Saviour as he is offered in the gospel; I own him as my Lord and I dedicate myself to His service. I covenant with Him that I will endeavour to forsake all sin and conform my life to his teaching and example.
I promise to submit in the Lord to the teaching and government of this church as being based on the Scriptures and described in substance in the Constitution of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Australia. I recognise my responsibility to work with others in the church, and promise to support and encourage them in their service to the Lord. Should I need correction in doctrine or life, I promise to respect the authority and discipline of the church.
To the end that I may grow in the Christian life, I promise that I will be obedient to God’s commands.
I propose to seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness in all the relationships of life, faithfully to perform my whole duty as a true servant of Jesus Christ, and to seek to win others to him.
I make this profession of faith and purpose in the presence of God, in humble reliance upon His grace, as I desire to give my account with joy at the last Great Day.
When the first three or all seven terms of the Covenant of Church Membership are affirmed publically the following question may be asked to the Congregation
- Do you, the members of this congregation, welcome into your fellowship these who have now professed their faith in Christ, and have been received by your session; and do you promise to help and encourage them in the Christian Life?
Covenant of Baptism
Members make these promises when bringing covenant children for baptism
I acknowledge my child as a covenant child and, according to the gracious design of Christian baptism, I dedicate my child to God and present him /her for recognition as a member of the visible church?
I promise to perform the following parental duties?
- To pray that my child may be renewed and brought to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ as signified in this sacrament?
- To seek that my child may come to know the Holy Scriptures and to know the duty of committing himself / herself to God?
- To exercise parental authority with firmness and love, to set the example of a holy and consistent life including, as far as possible, to attend with regularity to personal, family, and public worship?
- To seek that my child may while young come to understand Christian doctrine and practice as taught by the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Australia, and may come to experience the blessings of loving obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ.
When a child is baptised, the following question may be asked to the Congregation after the baptism
- As members of the same body within this congregation, do you promise to pray for this covenant child, and will you endeavour to make your life an example to him/her as you walk in the ways of the Lord?